Portfolio Manager – 1234998
The Portfolio Manager II is responsible for managing a delegated portfolio of commercial loans. Duties consist of gathering, analyzing and interpreting credit and financial information for existing members to assess credit quality and minimize risk and potential loss. In addition, the Portfolio Manager II is the main point of contact for borrowers and their requests or needs.
Primary & Essential Responsibilities
· Responsible for management of the credit union’s commercial loan portfolio.
· Analyzes historical and projected financial statements for business, personal borrowers and guarantors. Identifies and analyzes risks and repayment ability.
· Evaluates the adequacy of loan structures and collateral positions.
· Identifies risks related to borrower operations, considering the history of business, ownership, type of business entity, and industry/sector of the borrower.
· Summarizes findings in an Annual Review which will be utilized by the respective authorities as a basis for their approval decisions. Annual Reviews will summarize credit risks in an effort identify appropriate risk grade; propose improvements to loan structure; assess the loan rating and determine the probability and impact of default.
· Reviews commercial loan file documentation for accuracy and compliance with approval requirements.
· Leads decision discussions with Commercial Risk and Special Assets Manager and VP of Risk Management.
· May assist in underwriting and servicing requests for Government Guaranteed programs.
· Keeps the Commercial Risk and Special Assets Manager and VP of Risk Management informed of the status of the credit and obtains concurrence from the VP of Risk Management and Chief Credit Officer on significant changes to proposed terms and conditions of the credit.
· Attends regular meetings with required individuals to ensure the renewals and Change in Terms are properly underwritten, and that the loan is renewed on or before the maturity date.
· Assists the Commercial Risk and Special Assets Manager and VP of Risk Management in the monitoring of the portfolio, specifically:
· Obtains and reviews financial statements on a timely basis.
· Conducts site visits and collateral inspections as required.
· Prepares thoroughly written memos outlining business condition and financial status
· Understands, detects, and reports the early warning signs of problem credits. Develops and recommends strategy to minimizes the risk of credit loss to maintain appropriate risk ratings on all loans.
· Obtains and reviews Compliance Certificates, Borrowing Base Certificates, and associated receivable, payable, and inventory reports on a timely basis.
· Monitors all covenants and follow ups immediately on any covenants out of compliance.
· Prepares for and facilitates borrower meetings when appropriate.
· Obtains and familiarizes oneself with updated information on existing relationships and industries to support credit decisions and portfolio monitoring efforts.
· Participates, with the Commercial Loan Officers, in meetings with the member or prospect at the customer’s place of business, the bank offices, or by phone when appropriate.
· Participates in discussions with management, industry specialists, and other interested parties. Exchanges information, ideas, and seeks to understand the opinions of others.
· Assists in ensuring that all client documentation and customer agreements, credit and non-credit alike, are accurate, properly executed, and accounted for.
· Identifies and conducts oneself as the primary point of contact for the borrower, addressing requests of the borrower and involving necessary support staff as needed.
· Formulates necessary change in terms memos for approval.
· Continuously seeks additional knowledge and training to enhance sales, credit, and people skills.
· Monitor collateral tracking (tickler) report for past due and items coming due;
· Assist with special assets, liquidations, and ORE property as needed;
· Other duties as requested, including but not limited to:
· Assisting with preparation of draws / loan advances;
· Underwriting loan renewals and modifications;
· Monitoring of past due report for timely payment; and
· Ability to understand and navigate within a Commercial Lending System
· Preparing monthly and quarterly loan reports
Bachelor’s degree and one year experience as a Commercial Portfolio Manager or Commercial Credit Analyst or a combination of education and experience required. In-depth knowledge of commercial and SBA lending along with compliance and credit regulations. Professional written, verbal communication, problem solving, and interpersonal skills, along with the ability to produce quality work within tight time frames while managing multiple assignments. Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Episys and SilverLake. Strong work ethic, the ability to prioritize and adapt to changing deadlines, advanced interpersonal skills, excellent communication, and the desire to work as a team to support the overall success of the credit union. Persons in this position must possess a strong knowledge base about conventional, SBA 7(a) and SBA 504 loan programs, policies and procedures along with compliance and credit regulations.
General understanding of SBA
General understanding of Credit Administration functions
Ability to understand business financial documentation