Commercial Underwriter – 1249031
Los Angeles, CA
With minimum supervision, provides direct support to Loan Officers to develop and analyze all relevant credit information about more complex commercial and business loans. Prepares or assists in preparing Credit Authorizations by Bank’s policies and procedures for presentation to senior credit personnel and/or credit committees. Spreads and analyzes financial statement information to determine the financial capacity of borrowers. Prepares thorough analysis of business and/or personal financial statements and presents facts, and is expected to provide personal analytical opinions, as appropriate, concerning the creditworthiness of existing borrowers and prospects.
- Interacts directly with loan officers and customers/prospects regarding commercial business loans.
- Prepares accurate financial statement spreadsheets and debt service analysis derived from business and personal financial statements and tax returns.
- Prepares accurate Credit Authorization in conjunction with loan officers and presents a complete and thorough analysis of existing and potential borrowers.
- Recognize and act on customer prospects; cross-sell opportunities with existing customers.
- Make proper referrals of loan opportunities to lending personnel.
- Reviews Appraisals and Environmental Reports for Commercial Real Estate Loans
- Interacts independently, without direction, with customers/prospects to request financial information to complete spreading presentations and other financial analysis.
- Assists in accurately determining a borrower’s debt service capacity in conformity to the type of credit analyzed.
- Reviews loan agreement covenants for verification of the compliance thereto.
- Accurately prepares financial projections as required.
- Maintains an accurate, up-to-date tracking log of all activity and credit arrangements in process.
- Collects industry information relevant to existing and proposed borrowers using internal & external sources.
- Consult with the President, Chief Credit Officer, Credit Administration Officers, and other Loan Officers on credit structure, pricing, collateral, and other credit consideration issues.
- Gather information from the Bank’s LAS system to compute lending liability to the Bank.
- Conducts trade and reference checks on customers/prospects.
- Review documentation to ensure compliance with Bank policy and procedures.
- Performs special projects as designated by the Credit Administration.
- Ensure customer satisfaction and account retention as appropriate through quality service.
- Handle customer requests and complaints with prompt, professional, and courteous attention.
- Work with staff members and customers without regard to race, religion, age, national origin, handicap or sex.
Achieve individual and departmental objectives:
- Establish and manage priorities to ensure the effective and efficient accomplishment of departmental responsibilities.
- Provide leadership and take corrective action as necessary when objectives are not being attained
- Adhere to the requirements of the Bank Secrecy Act, the USA Patriot act, and Bank policies.
- Perform all and other related duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below represent the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
High School diploma or equivalent; Bachelor’s degree desired; or 3-5 years experience in spreading financial information or direct commercial/business lending and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Customer service and operations practices in the banking industry
- Banking and financial terminology and operations
- Investor guidelines and credit reporting regulations and standards
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles, tax return analysis, and analytical interpretation of balance sheet and income statement analysis, and cash flow
- Loan documentation
- Enter data in personal computer and use a calculator; operate telecommunications equipment and other office equipment.
- Use word processing, spreadsheets, and specialized financial systems software.
- Handle a substantial volume of workflow from various sources.
- Plan, organize, and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines.
- Analyze and solve work problems.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Communicate effectively with staff, management, customers, public and private representatives, vendors, and other parties.
- Communicate clearly, either orally or in writing.
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off.
- Vision insurance