Commercial Underwriter – 1360641
The Commercial Underwriter underwrites commercial business, real estate, agriculture, and SBA 504 loan requests. The underwriter analyzes financial information, recommends loan actions, and approves loan requests within his or her authority as assigned. Analyzes commercial loan applications and renewals and determines credit worthiness and appropriate grading for consideration of the loan request. Assists the sales staff to maximize the cross sales effort as the loan request is being processed. Prepares loan for legal documentation and monitors the closing process. Follows for timely renewals, reporting requirements, compliance and delinquencies.
• Analyzes commercial loan applications received by Relationship Managers to determine eligibility of request. Provides prompt turnaround time upon request. Confers with Relationship Managers to determine client needs and discuss options for borrowers. Requests any additional information needed to complete processing and periodically attends client meetings to provide credit expertise. Approves or declines commercial loan requests within assigned limits. Recommends credit approval requirements including the establishment of financial performance covenants, monitoring requirements, and other loan provisions and ensures accurate grading of new and existing credits based on analysis.
• Coordinates the credit approval process, evaluates repayment, and mitigates risk.
• Analyzes key factors such as industry, management, and economic trends.
• Provides assistance and exceptional sales support to all sales staff in answering questions relating to commercial loans.
• Assures the customer loan request is processed accurately and timely. Coordinates with appraisal department and escrow companies for secured loan products.
• Orders business credit reports and personal credit reports on business principals.
• Coordinates compliance, decline letter preparation and maintenance of adverse action database.
• Maintains a log of maturing lines and coordinates renewal process to ensure that necessary information is received prior to line maturity.
• Monitors past due loans for assigned portfolio(s) and recommends action to sales staff or contacts customers directly, as appropriate. Maintains a log of pending action or resolution for past due loans.
• Assists Relationship Managers as needed in the preparation of Interim Credit Reports and Real Estate Update Memos.
• Maintains a current understanding of Bank underwriting guidelines, procedures, policies and compliance issues. Maintains a working knowledge of regulatory requirements for documentation and regulations relating to commercial lending.
• Maintains a current understanding of Bank policies and procedures in compliance with all federal and state laws, including but not limited to Bank Secrecy Act (SARs, CIP, OFAC), Information Security (GLBA), Identity Theft Red Flags, Financial Elder Abuse Reporting, and any other applicable regulations that may be specific to your job duties.
• Inputs application and financial information.
• Performs Commercial Credit Officer duties in their absence as needed.
• Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
• Orders the preparation of loan documentation and reviews for completion.
• May be asked to provide formal or informal training and support to various colleagues within the bank and across multiple job functions with regard to credit fundamentals, policy, and underwriting techniques and guidelines.
• Assists Commercial Loan Supervisor in the development and completion of special projects, spreadsheets, graphs, and reports as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND OTHER SKILLS REQUIRED
• High school diploma or GED required.
• Undergraduate degree in Finance, Business Administration or Accounting, or related work experience preferred.
• Three years’ experience in a small business/commercial lending environment.
• Established knowledge of financial accounting theory and logic, loan structuring, commercial products and services.
• A proven ability to interpret and discuss analytical data and make credit recommendations to Senior Management and/or Risk Management on strategic issues or initiatives.
• Excellent organizational skills with efficient work demeanor that allows involvement in multiple areas.
• Ability to utilize personal computers, and Windows-driven programs, with an emphasis on the Microsoft Office suite of applications, specifically Word and Excel.
• Ability to complete a high volume of work efficiently and with accuracy.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Commercial Underwriter II – Above plus the following: Five years of proven experience in a small business/commercial lending environment. Must have substantial experience in small business/commercial lending and credit analysis. Must have a thorough understanding of commercial financial statements and an ability to communicate with commercial business owners. Must be able to analyze financial information, prepare cash flow and ratio analysis. Must have experience in loan recommendations and provide a concise loan write up. Experience in statistical portfolio management. Ability to supervise in manager’s absence. Possess leadership abilities in a team environment and provide project leadership. Serves as a product specialist and a technical consultant to branches and sales staff and provides assistance and exceptional sales support in answering questions relating to small business/commercial loans. Provides guidance to the Commercial Underwriter I when appropriate and recommends appropriate loan structure when presented with loans for approval. Assists the Commercial Loan Supervisor in identifying training needs for staff within the department.
Commercial Underwriter III – Above plus following: Demonstrated ability to interpret and underwrite the most complex commercial credits in the Bank with minimal guidance or oversight, seven years of experience. Subject matter expert across a broad range of credit topics including financial statements and cash flow analysis, the regional commercial real estate market, and working capital finance. Track record of appropriately utilizing credit approval authority to make sound credit recommendations on complex commercial credits in line with the Bank’s credit culture, policies and procedures. Will serve as team leader for respective regional commercial underwriting group and in various departmental and bank wide projects. Must have ability to train and mentor junior credit personnel. Expert user of Bank systems, software, and third-party vendor platforms. Ability to perform primary relationship management or credit administrator functions in place of Relationship Managers and Commercial Loan Supervisors.